From purchasing transactions, to chatter from social networks, to web server logs, to satellite imagery, to traffic flow sensors, it’s estimated that we now create–every two days –as much information as we did from the dawn of civilization up until 2003. What’s more, it’s expected that the amount of data currently available will double every two years worldwide as virtually everything becomes digitized.
The insights provided by Big Data–the massive volume of information too complex and dynamic to be able to process, store, analyze, and manage with traditional data tools–enable organizations to make better decisions, improve efficiency, decrease costs, and increase revenue. Yet many companies don’t even realize its benefits…and if they do, may still not know how to take advantage of it.
Sharing best practices from companies that have implemented a Big Data strategy including Walmart, InterContinental Hotel Group, Walt Disney, and Shell, Think Bigger reveals how to harness the power of Big Data for your organization. Filled with practical guidance, the book shows you how to:
- Foster an information-centric culture, and enable your employees to develop new operational, tactical, and strategic plans based on real data instead of calculated estimates.
- Know what products to digitize, and how best to utilize public data marketplaces containing already-collected information that could benefit your organization.
- Determine the best way to analyze the data you have using open source tools, analyses, and technologies like Hadoop and MapReduce.
- Establish clear guidelines for respecting your customers’ privacy.
- Put the right security measures and procedures in place to protect your organization’s and your customers’ data, including a crisis plan in the event that you get hacked.