Why Digital Twins are Essential to Building the Metaverse with Richard Kerris - Step into the Metaverse podcast: EP24
In this episode of the Step into the Metaverse Podcast, I had a chat with Richard Kerris, the Vice President of the Omniverse developer platform and the industry general manager for media and entertainment at NVIDIA. NVIDIA’s Omniverse is an easily extendible platform with 3D design collaboration and scalable multi-GPU real-time true-to-reality simulation.
With a career spanning Apple, Lucasfilm and Amazon/AWS, Richard’s experience combine driving marketing and product development with a focus on bringing new ideas to life. At Apple, he directed developer relations and managed Final Cut Pro, Logic and Aperture.
At Lucasfilm, he served as CTO, managing research and development, IT and information services. Richard has given keynote addresses at GTC, Asia Broadcast and China Joy Expo and delivered multiple Apple Worldwide Developers Conference presentations. He currently serves on the Bay Area Board of the Visual Effects Society and is an active member of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.
Richard and I discussed the importance of interoperability and transferability of assets across the metaverse. We talked about digital twins, how the Omniverse platform can help enterprise organizations, and how important content will be for the metaverse. Stay tuned and enjoy!
- [01:20] - Building the Omniverse to connect all the metaverses.
- [05:34] - Defining the metaverse in great detail.
- [10:53] - How people will move from one metaverse to another.
- [15:12] - An open decentralized metaverse versus closed walled gardens.
- [17:10] - Experiencing virtual worlds courtesy of AR and VR.
- [18:39] - The power of content creators and creativity in the metaverse.
- [20:54] - Building brand loyalty and engagement in the metaverse.
- [22:05] - What the future looks like and the role NVIDIA will play.
“As every company has a worldwide website today, the same will hold true with virtual worlds in the very very near term” - Richard Kerris
“There will be much more content created in the metaverse than in the physical world” - Richard Kerris
“There will be many types of commerce usability in the metaverse” - Richard Kerris
“Blockchain was derived to help protect and secure very costly financial interactions and other types of things as well in a safe and secure environment” - Richard Kerris
Learn More About Richard Kerris in the Links Below:
If you are interested in learning more about the metaverse, you can order my book Step into the Metaverse here.